Skip to main content

REVIEW: Shiro Cosmetics Custom Lipgloss - 'I Tried'

Indie makeup brands excite me. I love seeing people use their own creativity to inspire others to get creative with their own empowerment. Does makeup really do all that, though? I think so. As far as frivolities go, it's a small thing that can have a big impact. It can light a small spark of whimsy within the mundane cycle of everyday life, and it can make absolute magic, turning mere mortals into whatever fantastic creatures they dream up. For both extremes, it comes down to having fun. And enjoyment is what makes life bearable.

So! Shiro Cosmetics is an indie brand based in Portland, Oregon. The products they create are inspired by pop culture and the ephemeral dream/nightmarescape of the Internet. Perhaps what Shiro Cosmetics is most famous for are the cheeky puns used to name products and collections, most notably a whole range based on Nicholas Cage engaging in activities ranging from churning butter to doing the Charleston in a speakeasy.

Aside from being hilarious and full of interesting eyeshadows, what drew me to Shiro Cosmetics was the custom lip glosses. While browsing through the various face powders and eyeshadows, if a specific product is lip safe, you can request to have it turned into a lip gloss. Awesome, right? Furthermore, you have the option of requesting to have the lip gloss made to be sheer, medium coverage, or opaque. Whatever rings your bell.

One of the eyeshadows released earlier in the year, called 'I Tried' (inspired by broken New Years resolutions), caught my eye. It's a dazzling rose gold shade with warm undertones, and it's lip safe! I ordered a wee pot of it in eyeshadow form as well as a tube of lip gloss in full opacity. This review will just be for the latter. I'll review the eyeshadow in a separate post along with some other Shiro goodies that I ordered.




Shiro custom glosses come in a clear plastic tube. They're labeled with the SC logo and the name of the shade, handwritten, which I think is a cute personal touch. The cap is black and has a doe-foot attachment for application.

Pretty!

Screw cap with doe-foot applicator. 

No complaints about the packaging. It's pretty standard for lipgloss. The doe-foot applicator is tried-and-true.

One-swipe wrist swatch.

Condensed in the gloss, you can see that 'I Tried' definitely has copper tones mixed in with the rose gold. The consistency is thick, but not gloopy. It spreads easily. When ordering custom glosses from SC, you can opt to have them scented. I was fine with this one remaining unscented because I'm just not that bothered about it. Next time I'll pick a scent to see what it's like.



The lip swatch above shows what 'I Tried' in opaque coverage looks like with two layers. It wasn't quiet opaque with just one, but I'm not complaining. It's obvious how much pigment was packed into the tube, and any more would have made the gloss drying and weird. I think it's beautiful - happy customer here. What I like most about this gloss is that the colour is versatile enough that I can wear it with a bold or subtle eye look without appearing to have raided my great-aunt's boudoir vanity. I have fairly large facial features, so striking a good balance is essential for me.

I love berets. My mom got this one for me.

After a day of wear, the gloss was a little bit drying. This was unsurprising because my lips dry out super easily, and also because of the amount of pigment in the formula. Still, it's easy to apply, has good lasting power for a gloss, is pretty, versatile, and comes from a great company. 

Links!



Comments

  1. Amazing post, would you mind checking mine? haute her girl tips hope you will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Clothing Review: The Vampire Dress by ExoUmbra

Ooooh, you guys are in for a treat today! This is a review of the  Vampire Dress  from  ExoUmbra . ExoUmbra is a gothic clothing company run by the darling Moose. She has a real passion for making items that suit a broad range of body types, and it shows in her work. Something that I personally appreciate about ExoUmbra is how simple the pieces are. I love clean silhouettes.  Twirly preggo! Because the sizing is so generous (every piece is meant to be easy to move around in) the Vampire Dress was absolutely perfect for my growing baby bump. And with the brutal heat and humidity we have been experiencing in London this summer, I've pretty much been living in it since it arrived. The Vampire Dress is constructed from upcycled cotton unisex t-shirts, so it's breathable and effortless to wear. You can just throw it on and off you go. The standard version of this dress does not have a moon decal on the back, but I cheekily asked Moose to paint one on. So many of her pi

Feathers

I need to talk about my feelings.  Just as I posted about the realities of my pregnancies, the birth of my daughter, and the vulnerability that comes with the postpartum period, I want to write to you now about death. Birth and death have become so removed from our everyday lives in this postmodern age that they are now taboo. It’s strange for me to write about (It feels a bit like using your non dominant hand for a simple task) and I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for you to read about. Nevertheless, birth and death are the opposing forces that keep the perpetual motion machine of life spinning. Willingness to explore them helps me to remain grateful and be present. It also opens up an opportunity for connection through discussion. If this is too much for you right now, that’s ok. Tap out. If you want to be with me in another very human moment, let’s carry on.  My mother is dying. Well, she’s been dying since 2015, but now it’s really happening. She is going.  Death is both a fa

REVIEW! Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack & Moisturizing Moon Mask

I received these two Glossier masks from my sweet friend, Andrea, for my birthday. Since I'm a January baby, my birthday has always coincided with New Year goal-setting. The health of my skin is a priority for me - those who know me well often laugh at me for carrying a UV-protective umbrella during the warm months, and if I'm going to be outdoors for more than ten minutes any time of year, you can bet I'm wearing sunscreen. Now that I've taken a further step into my thirties, taking even better care of my changing skin seems like a sensible resolution.  Incorporating face masks into my normal routine is something I'm excited about. If the results I've had from my one use of these Glossier masks are an accurate indication of what I can expect, then it's a good decision. I'm delighted to report that the masks - for the most part - are awesome. They are meant to be used as a pair, with Mega Greens applied first. The packaging is clean and s